I haven't blogged in a while, but much has happened:
We have a Bourbon Red turkey now, his name is Harry Turk Turk, and he runs the pasture with the goats. I clipped his wings to keep him here since he likes to fly and wander. I think if he did, one of my neighbors would put him in their freezer, and I really don't want that to happen.
Dixie, the spotted saddle horse mare, is due tomorrow, and her milk bag is slowly coming in, but I don't think she is going to go tonight. Looking forward to the new baby though!
From Lilly's litter of 4 BEW, I sold 2 of the kits, one doe, one buck. Both were BUD/BUB, so I didn't want to keep them in the program since cage space is limited. The remaining two are nice, showable little buns, especially the little doe, Winter. I can't wait to take her to a show to get the judge's comments. Kayla has the little buck, Elmer, in her room as a pet.
Of Dutchess's litter of 3, we have 2 remaining. Noelle, the BEW doe that is also very nice, and Zander, the opal VM buck, is going to be a little bit bigger than I would truly like (darn little boy is FAT!), but he has nice conformation with the rounded, wide, open ears that are liked. Zander is a pet in my room, and he usually sits up to watch me when I work out in the mornings.
Vienna had a litter of 3 which ended up being 2 bucks and 1 doe. The doe is a tad large, but she may end up being a great momma. She's a black silver marten. One of the bucks is a black otter, and he is tiny and nice, so I plan on keeping him. The other buck just isn't quite what I'm looking for, but he is a nicely conformed blue otter. Since it is almost Easter, hopefully he will sell quickly.
We bought a mixed rabbit doe kit at the Sunoco gas station yesterday. I think she is around 6-8 weeks old. Pretty sure she has some lop in her background. She is a broken red. Really cute. We will breed her to the seal Holland Lop buck, Mr. Pickles, that Kayla has in her room.
Other than those 3 litters, I haven't had much luck getting does bred. I put Lilly in with Spike, and since he had an inner ear infection and has a slight head tilt now, he kept sliding off to the side, so we'll have to keep trying him to see if he'll be able to be a breeding buck from now on. If not, that's ok, he's a little sweetheart and he gets to call the laundry/mud room his home. I had hoped that he had covered Lilly a couple of weeks ago, but she made a nest and pulled fur yesterday. Palpation only found a partially full bladder. I've also tried breeding Dutchess a couple of times with no luck. I did put her in with JD a few days ago, so hopefully she took this time.
As an experiment, I put Vienna in with Elmer, who is about 15 weeks old, to see if he was inclined to breed. It took him a few minutes, but he did eventually start mounting V. She's a good girl, didn't do anything while he was all over her, but she didn't really lift either. Will wait a few days and then put them back together again. I also plan on putting Lilly back in with Spike again to see if we can't get her bred. If I have to, I'll breed her to JD, but I'm hoping Spike will be successful.
Hope everyone's spring starts off well!!!!